PS-4: PERSONNEL TERMINATION
TAILORED FOR INDUSTRIAL CONTROL SYSTEMS
ICS Control Baselines:
The organization, upon termination of individual employment:
- a. Disables information system access within [Assignment: organization-defined time period];
- b. Terminates/revokes any authenticators/credentials associated with the individual;
- c. Conducts exit interviews that include a discussion of [Assignment: organization-defined information security topics];
- d. Retrieves all security-related organizational information system-related property;
- e. Retains access to organizational information and information systems formerly controlled by terminated individual; and
- f. Notifies [Assignment: organization-defined personnel or roles] within [Assignment: organization-defined time period].
Information system-related property includes, for example, hardware authentication tokens, system administration technical manuals, keys, identification cards, and building passes. Exit interviews ensure that terminated individuals understand the security constraints imposed by being former employees and that proper accountability is achieved for information system-related property. Security topics of interest at exit interviews can include, for example, reminding terminated individuals of nondisclosure agreements and potential limitations on future employment. Exit interviews may not be possible for some terminated individuals, for example, in cases related to job abandonment, illnesses, and nonavailability of supervisors. Exit interviews are important for individuals with security clearances. Timely execution of termination actions is essential for individuals terminated for cause. In certain situations, organizations consider disabling the information system accounts of individuals that are being terminated prior to the individuals being notified.
ICS SUPPLEMENTAL GUIDANCE
No ICS Supplemental Guidance.
RELATED CONTROLS: PS-4
PS-4 (1) PERSONNEL TERMINATION | POST-EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
NOT SELECTED FOR THE NIST ISC CONTROL SET
- (a) Notifies terminated individuals of applicable, legally binding post-employment requirements for the protection of organizational information; and
- (b) Requires terminated individuals to sign an acknowledgment of post-employment requirements as part of the organizational termination process.
Organizations consult with the Office of the General Counsel regarding matters of post-employment requirements on terminated individuals.
PS-4 (2) PERSONNEL TERMINATION | AUTOMATED NOTIFICATION
ISC Control Baseline:
The organization employs automated mechanisms to notify [Assignment: organization-defined personnel or roles] upon termination of an individual.
In organizations with a large number of employees, not all personnel who need to know about termination actions receive the appropriate notifications' or, if such notifications are received, they may not occur in a timely manner. Automated mechanisms can be used to send automatic alerts or notifications to specific organizational personnel or roles (e.g., management personnel, supervisors, personnel security officers, information security officers, systems administrators, or information technology administrators) when individuals are terminated. Such automatic alerts or notifications can be conveyed in a variety of ways, including, for example, telephonically, via electronic mail, via text message, or via websites.
No ICS Supplemental Guidance.
- NIST Special Publication 800-82 | GUIDE TO INDUSTRIAL CONTROL SYSTEMS (ICS) SECURITY