PS — PERSONNEL SECURITY
PS-3: PERSONNEL SCREENING
NIST 800-53R4 Membership PS-3:
- a. Screens individuals prior to authorizing access to the information system; and
- b. Rescreens individuals according to [Assignment: organization-defined conditions requiring rescreening and, where rescreening is so indicated, the frequency of such rescreening].
Personnel screening and rescreening activities reflect applicable federal laws, Executive Orders, directives, regulations, policies, standards, guidance, and specific criteria established for the risk designations of assigned positions. Organizations may define different rescreening conditions and frequencies for personnel accessing information systems based on types of information processed, stored, or transmitted by the systems.
RELATED CONTROLS: PS-3
PS-3 (1) PERSONNEL SCREENING| CLASSIFIED INFORMATION
The organization ensures that individuals accessing an information system processing, storing, or transmitting classified information are cleared and indoctrinated to the highest classification level of the information to which they have access on the system.
Supplemental Guidance: NONE
RELATED CONTROLS: PS-3 (1)
PS-3 (2) PERSONNEL SCREENING | FORMAL INDOCTRINATION
The organization ensures that individuals accessing an information system processing, storing, or transmitting types of classified information which require formal indoctrination, are formally indoctrinated for all of the relevant types of information to which they have access on the system.
Types of classified information requiring formal indoctrination include, for example, Special Access Program (SAP), Restricted Data (RD), and Sensitive Compartment Information (SCI).
RELATED CONTROLS: PS-3 (2)
PS-3 (3) PERSONNEL SCREENING | INFORMATION WITH SPECIAL PROTECTION MEASURES
The organization ensures that individuals accessing an information system processing, storing, or transmitting information requiring special protection:
- (a) Have valid access authorizations that are demonstrated by assigned official government duties; and
- (b) Satisfy [Assignment: organization-defined additional personnel screening criteria].
Organizational information requiring special protection includes, for example, Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI) and Sources and Methods Information (SAMI). Personnel security criteria include, for example, position sensitivity background screening requirements.
- 5 C.F.R. 731.106
- FIPS Publication 199
- FIPS Publication 201
- ICD 704
- NIST Special Publication 800-60
- NIST Special Publication 800-73
- NIST Special Publication 800-76
- NIST Special Publication 800-78