SC — SYSTEM AND COMMUNICATIONS PROTECTION
SC-1: SYSTEM AND COMMUNICATIONS PROTECTION POLICY AND PROCEDURES
NIST 800-53R4 Membership SC-1:
- a. Develops, documents, and disseminates to [Assignment: organization-defined personnel or roles]:
- A system and communications protection policy that addresses purpose, scope, roles, responsibilities, management commitment, coordination among organizational entities, and compliance; and
- Procedures to facilitate the implementation of the system and communications protection policy and associated system and communications protection controls; and
- System and communications protection policy [Assignment: organization-defined frequency]; and
- System and communications protection procedures [Assignment: organization-defined frequency].
This control addresses the establishment of policy and procedures for the effective implementation of selected security controls and control enhancements in the SC family. Policy and procedures reflect applicable federal laws, Executive Orders, directives, regulations, policies, standards, and guidance. Security program policies and procedures at the organization level may make the need for system-specific policies and procedures unnecessary. The policy can be included as part of the general information security policy for organizations or conversely, can be represented by multiple policies reflecting the complex nature of certain organizations. The procedures can be established for the security program in general and for particular information systems, if needed. The organizational risk management strategy is a key factor in establishing policy and procedures.
RELATED CONTROLS: SC-1
- NIST Special Publication 800-100
- NIST Special Publication 800-12